To comply with new EU laws regarding "cookies", we have updated our Terms and Conditions and provided a detailed description of how cookies work and are used on this website.  By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to those updated Terms and Conditions.
This notice should appear only the first time you visit the site.

Notes for International Applicants

EU/EEA and Commonwealth Nationals

Nationals from most European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA) countries can enter and work in the United Kingdom without any restrictions, but some people may need to register before they begin work.  Further information on the rights of EU, EEA and Commonwealth nationals can be found on the UK Border Agency (UKBA) website at

Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland are not members of the EU but citizens of these countries have the same rights to enter, live in and work in the United Kingdom as EU citizens.


Applicants from outside EU/EEA

To take up an appointment at Aston University, applicants who are nationals of countries outside the EU/EEA who do not have existing permission to work in the UK need to get permission from the UKBA.

Should you be successful in applying for a job at the University, unless you can demonstrate that you already have a right to reside and work in the UK, it is likely that you will need to apply for a visa through the points-based immigration system which grants you permission to work. If you need to apply through Tier 2, provided that the job is at an appropriate level, we will apply for a certificate of sponsorship that will enable you to seek permission from the UKBA to take up our offer of employment. However, if we are unable to obtain a certificate, even though you have been offered a post, ultimately it may not be possible for us to employ you.


More information about immigration categories, visas and the points-based system can be found at

Email / Username


Forgotten Details     Register